Our friends Tony & Asuncion have a prolific apricot tree in their backyard which is just sagging with fruit. They can't give away their apricots fast enough, and we saw bushels of the almost-ripe fruit covering the branches. We managed to take home a bagful (shoulda taken more, dangit!), and I made some apricot-lime jam with our loot. I didn't want a sweet jam, and using a judicious amount of sugar with juices/zest of 2 limes resulted in some amazing tart-yet-fruity-sweet jam, thick and luscious like lemon curd. This stuff was heavenly on thin-sliced toast, and even better on Kashi TLC crackers with cream cheese. Now I want to try it with some chevre, or on top of cheesecake, ice cream, or waffles...
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Jammin 'Cots
Our friends Tony & Asuncion have a prolific apricot tree in their backyard which is just sagging with fruit. They can't give away their apricots fast enough, and we saw bushels of the almost-ripe fruit covering the branches. We managed to take home a bagful (shoulda taken more, dangit!), and I made some apricot-lime jam with our loot. I didn't want a sweet jam, and using a judicious amount of sugar with juices/zest of 2 limes resulted in some amazing tart-yet-fruity-sweet jam, thick and luscious like lemon curd. This stuff was heavenly on thin-sliced toast, and even better on Kashi TLC crackers with cream cheese. Now I want to try it with some chevre, or on top of cheesecake, ice cream, or waffles...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment